Our long-standing and diverse experience with California public agencies over the past several decades allows us to provide cutting-edge advice and advocacy with energy and utility issues that continue to emerge and evolve with regulatory and climate changes as well as limited natural resources to meet the demands of a growing population. Adding to our depth to meet client needs is our expertise in related practice areas including Environment & Natural Resources, Franchises, Litigation, Public Finance, and Water.
- Ordinance drafting to regulate landfills, solid waste collection and disposal, and water conservation and rates.
- Negotiating operating and maintenance agreements, facility lease agreements, and franchise agreements for utilities including petroleum, natural gas, water, solid waste, cable, and telecommunications.
- Public bidding for cable and telecommunications agreements, including wireless facilities and cell-tower siting.
- Right-of-way management and development of and compliance with encroachment permits.
- Creating, acquiring, and operating municipal utilities such as water distribution and sewer collection systems.
- Rate-setting representation in matters before the California Public Utilities Commission and rates set by local public agencies under Proposition 218.
- Compliance with AB 939 for waste hauling; CEQA and NEPA environmental regulations; and the federal Clean Water Act and California Porter-Cologne Act for water quality regulations.
- Development of municipal resource recovery and transfer stations (MRF/TS), waste-to-energy systems such as development, financing and operations of Wastewater Treatment Plants, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Up-to-the-minute tracking of climate change regulations at the federal and State levels to ensure the most advantageous advice is given to clients.