Mark Steres is the City Attorney of the Cities of La Cañada Flintridge, Cerritos and San Dimas. Mr. Steres is a partner with the firm with over 25 years of experience in representing public agency clients in a general counsel role, along with private clients in land use, planning, environmental, and development matters. His clients include cities, housing authorities, successor agencies, special districts, private property owners and developers. He has extensive experience in processing to approval -- for both public and private clients -- land use entitlements and subdivisions, along with comprehensive CEQA review and compliance.
Mr. Steres has been appointed to serve on the League of California Cities’ Community Services Policy Committee for 2016.
Mr. Steres’ primary emphasis has been in land use and planning, Subdivision Map Act, CEQA, affordable housing, cable and telecommunications, public contracts and franchises, Brown Act, conflicts of interest, fiscal issues and elections.
In the city of West Hollywood, Mr. Steres represented property owners in three different transactions in the processing and approval of entitlements and CEQA compliance for mixed-use projects. These projects on several acres were comprised of over 40,000 square feet of commercial space and over 370 residential units. In the city of Carson, Mr. Steres represented the property owner in the processing and approval of entitlements and CEQA compliance for a new Specific Plan covering a 157 acre former landfill site to allow development of up to 1,550 residential units and up to 1.9 million square feet of commercial use, including a hotel use.
- Valley Vista Services, Inc. v. City of Monterey Park (2004) 118 Cal. App. 4th 881
- NJD, Ltd. v. City of San Dimas (2003) 110 Cal. App. 4th 1428
- Sounhein v. City of San Dimas (1996) 47 Cal. App. 4th 1181
- Martin v. Superior Court (1991) 234 Cal. App. 3d. 1765
- “Proposition 218 Implementation Guide”, The League of California Cities, January 1997, Contributor
- “California Municipal Law Handbook”, The League of California Cities, Contributing Author
- “Contracting Tips—Contracting for Services”, Directory of Municipal Service Providers, League of California Cities, 1997, 1998
Seminars and Presentations
- March 2006 Chapter meeting of SCAN NATOA (States of California and Nevada Chapter of the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors); discussed the impact of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Sprint PCS v. City of La Cañada Flintridge, including the aesthetic concerns
- The 2004 Mayors and Council Members Executive Forum; discussed hillside development and control over public right-of-way
- The 2003 Mayors and Council Members Advanced Academy, discussed City/School District Collaboration