Jeff Malawy advises the firm’s clients in a wide range of legal matters pertaining to municipal government, including the California Planning and Zoning Law, the Subdivision Map Act, the California Environmental Quality Act, the Brown Act, the Political Reform Act, municipal contracting, land use permitting, and constitutional law issues such as regulatory takings, inverse condemnation, the First Amendment, and civil rights. Mr. Malawy currently serves as the Assistant City Attorney in the Cities of Hesperia, Lompoc, and Fillmore, and serves as counsel to the City of Carson’s and City of Ventura's Mobilehome Park Rental Review Boards.
Mr. Malawy has developed particular expertise in the various California laws related to marijuana regulation, rent control, and mobilehome parks. He is one of a few statewide experts in the much-litigated area of mobilehome park subdivisions, and has litigated numerous cases related to mobilehome park rent control. He regularly advises local officials to develop local laws to regulate or prohibit marijuana dispensaries, cultivation facilities, and delivery services.
Mr. Malawy has extensive appellate experience. In 2015, he received the Amicus Service Award from the International Municipal Lawyers’ Association for his appellate work in the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Malawy is named counsel on over 15 state and federal appellate decisions, including:
- Carson Harbor Village, Ltd. v. City of Carson (2015) 239 Cal.App.4th 56
- El Dorado Estates v. City of Fillmore (9th Cir. 2014) 765 F.3d 1118
- 218 Properties, LLC v. City of Carson (2014) 226 Cal.App.4th 182
- Colony Cove Properties, LLC v. City of Carson (2013) 220 Cal.App.4th 840
- Pacific Palisades Bowl Mobile Estates, LLC v. City of Los Angeles (2012) 55 Cal.4th 783
- Goldstone v. County of Santa Cruz (2012) 207 Cal.App.4th 1038
- Chino MHC, LP v. City of Chino (2012) 210 Cal.App.4th 1049
- Colony Cove Properties, LLC v. City of Carson (9th Cir. 2011) 640 F.3d 948
- Guggenheim v. City of Goleta (9th Cir., en banc, 2010) 638 F.3d 1111
- Colony Cove Properties, LLC v. City of Carson (2010) 187 Cal. App. 4th 1487
- Byrd, et al. v. County of Fresno, et al., California Fifth Appellate District Case No. F070597 (2015)
- Colony Cove Properties, LLC v. City of Carson, California 2nd Appellate District Case No. B234985 (2013)
- Carson Harbor Village, Ltd. v. City of Carson, California 2nd Appellate District Case No. B211777 (2010)
- Melim v. Cal. Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, California 4th Appellate District Case No. G042306 (2010)
- Colony Cove Properties, LLC v. City of Carson, California 2nd Appellate District Case No. B260071 (2016)
- Fred Siegel v. City of Lawndale, California 2nd Appellate District Case No. B258666 (2016)
Mr. Malawy attended the University of Southern California Law School in Los Angeles, where he received his J.D. in 2007. While there, he was a member of the Review of Law and Social Justice and served as a law clerk at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Regional Counsel in San Francisco. His experience with environmental regulatory issues at the EPA makes him a valuable part of the land use and environmental teams at the Firm.
He received a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Economics & Policy and a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications from the University of California, Berkeley in 2004.